Thursday, December 11, 2014

Grow!

 
December 12, 2014
Grow!

Daily Thought: "Get In & Get Moving"
Daily Reading: Hebrews 10:24, Proverbs 27:17

I first came to church on an invitation- and the offer of free food. I stayed after getting invited to a men's group. What I found at that men's group is what I understood (even as an unbeliever) of what life should be like. I was used to guys who "bust each others chops" and cut each other down. Sure there were some good guys from my circle- but this was different. These were guys who were dedicated to one another and built one another up. Guys that held each other accountable. Guys who had relationships with their wives that I had never witnessed in all of my life. So I stayed because I wanted some! That was the start of my journey of faith, learning and development that I pray will continue for the rest of my life.
 
I could give you a thousand reasons of why a small group is beneficial- and even more examples of the lives that have been changed as a result. Through your small group you can find love, growth, acceptance and accountability. The early church began on them, and to this day they are the one of the most pivotal aspects of church life in thriving and vibrant churches. The same is true for our children. If we get them connected we can provide a nurturing and supportive foundation to their faith that will serve them for the rest of their lives.
 
During your daily thought- think of where you and your family can get connected. There are groups for men, women, children, teens, young adults, singles, widows, couples and everything in between. And don't be afraid to explore! Try a group- if it's not for you then try another. You may even attend a group at another church if you want to be really brave. After all, as we learn in Proverbs 27:17: As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend. So get in and get moving!
 
-Alan McCormick
 

No comments:

Post a Comment