Friday, December 12, 2014

Try, Try Again

 
Daily Encouragement for December 13, 2014.
Try, Try Again
 
Daily Thought: "God is speaking-am I listening?"
Daily Verses: Psalm 23 (all)
 
 
Recently I seem to be surrounded by death. I feel that it comes in waves- as if God takes people in sweeps. Thankfully none of those very close to me have passed lately, but seeing friends, co-workers, church family and relatives struggle with the aftermath of death- I find myself reflecting on those who have passed in my life and on the promises of our faith.
 
Psalm 23: Like some death cliché, it is repeated in nearly all Christian funerals, on television and in books. The words of this Psalm can often be recited by nearly any person, whether they come from a Christian background or not. I admit that I, like many, have often turned a deaf ear to Psalm 23, hearing it's words but often not acknowledging the significance that lies within them.
 
In reflecting on it today in study, I found myself renewed by the promise embedded in every line. I was invigorated in the promise and the victory I have found through my faith. I felt a restored hope for those who have gone before me, and rejoice that there will be a day when we once again stand together. This is the power of the Bible.
 
Do you read the Bible? Don't. Surprised that I would say that? It's true- In fact I recommend that no one ever "read the Bible" again. Instead, I challenge you to study it- perpetually learn it. Start a relationship with it. Love it.
 
I pray that someday you will know it as a living document. It is not a popular book that comes and goes in the tides of entertainment. It is a book that restores and renews lives, forges love and graces those who have the courage to explore it.
 
There will be times when lines you barely understood at one time become significant- like beacons of light in a dark and distressed world. Times that you will reach out to it in pain and despair and find hope and peace. Times when words you once glossed over become your defining purpose.  The Bible is full of surprises and has a transformative power within it-just waiting to be tapped.
 
If you are new to this- keep it simple. Find a modern translation of a good study Bible to dig into. Make sure that you can understand the language and concepts. It is hard to understand how God is trying to speak to you if you don't understand the same language.  Once you have given yourself a good foundation- then you can play with the other translations. Unsuccessful try in the past? Try, try again, and get some help if you need to. Commit to studying with your spouse or in your small group. You wont regret it!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment