Sunday, December 21, 2014

Where is God in my pain?

This stained glass window adorns the sanctuary at the
Homer Avenue United Methodist Church
in Cortland, NY
 
Daily Thoughts and encouragement for December 22, 2014
 
Enduring Pain
 
Daily Thought: "I can endure this season of pain"
Daily Reading: Hebrews 10:32-39
 
Have you ever thought- What do I do when I need God and do not feel his presence? What if we feel alone? What do we do when the "tingly sensations' we have as Christians are no more?
 
First, understand that your not alone. Most Christians will have this experience at some point in their walk of faith. You, me, your pastor, even the original apostles have had periods in which we have felt unheard- or even abandoned by God. I understand those times when faith is drawn thin. When you don't even feel like going to church. When you question everything and ask yourself "what is the point?" If you looked hard enough, you would find a previous blog I wrote entitled "Confessions of a Hypocrite" that discussed this very thing.
 
In Hebrews 10, the author addresses this dilemma. He states to address this matter in three distinct ways:
1. Do not run away from God to temporary pleasures. Keep in mind that although they may even "feel good"- they are temporary. Focus on the eternal and Gods promise.
2. Have patient endurance: Indeed difficult I agree. Choose to honor God and be patient. If you stay focused on God even in the tough times, you will come through the other side with a much deeper and matured relationship with Him.
3. Remember the good old days: I personally do this by going through an old binder I put together after a spiritual retreat. Its the perfect thing to help stay focused when you feel like you could just throw in the towel.
 
Remember- all things are possible with God. You can and will pull through to the other side of these difficult times. Just keep looking up!
 
Prayer: Lord God, in my times of darkness and despair, I ask for your healing touch in my life. I ask for peace, mercy and the strength to carry on until I can see your face again. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.
 
P.S. For tips on making it through the holiday season- check out my post "Surviving Christmas in Pain"
 




No comments:

Post a Comment