Monday, January 19, 2015

Learning to Forgive

Daily Thoughts and Encouragement for January 20, 2015. 

Forgive & Forget- The freedom in forgiveness

Daily Thought: I can learn to forgive
Daily Reading: Matthew 6:14

50. That's how many verses I reviewed on forgiveness before writing this blog. It seems to be pretty important to God to really reinforce this idea. In fact, in His wisdom, it's mandated. If you have read today's reading, you will see that God takes it pretty seriously. 

Why? Among the many reasons, God knows what harboring anger, resentment, hostility or bitterness does to a person. Quite literally, harboring these emotions is toxic. We might as well be drinking bleach. It takes a lot from a person. You could literally take before and after pictures and notice the difference. Not to mention that stress can literally take you to the grave. 

It's not easy to let it go. I get that. I was a person that could hold a grudge like no other. I couldn't imagine letting it go. If I did, it felt as if I were letting the person off of the hook! The only thing that I didn't realize at the time, is that the only one that I was still keeping on the hook was myself.  You see, forgiveness is a two-way street. Its as much of letting the other person go as it is letting yourself heal from whatever it is that alienates you. 

When I decided that I would start forgiving, it went slow at first. If its not something that you've done, you have to get used to it. I actually would google "how to forgive someone" and read up various strategies.. If you wish to start forgiving- you have to figure out how to do it for yourself. Everyone is different. Work at it, and you can get on the forgiving train.

What I want you to take from today is the knowledge that forgiving will change your life. It will brighten your days, your relationships, your outlook and even lighten the weight in your chest as you breathe. It will bring you closer to God, and mature your faith as you begin to understand the immense blessings that come with it. 

Jesus said in Matthew 11:29, "Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."
Jesus has given you rest from your burden. As painful as it is- don't hold onto it. Give it to Him and trust that he will handle it justly and righteously. Trust Him and the plan that he has for your life. Trust him and follow a road of healing that will bring countless blessings to your life. Someday you will look back, astonished that you hadn't let go sooner.  

Go forth in peace and love, 
-Alan 


No comments:

Post a Comment